[DCRM-L] Citing ESTC

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 11 09:48:00 MDT 2007

 From the responses that this topic generated, it seems that the
overwhelming preference is for the unqualified "ESTC" as the standard
citation. SCF IV.F.2 says "When the online database is available from
different services or sources, add a qualifier for the name of the
bibliographic utility, information service or computer source in
parentheses ..." Henry points out below that, while users may access the
file from different services, the file itself is the same. Adding "online"
does not seem necessary, and, indeed, does not actually identify the
"bibliographic utility, information service, etc."

That being said, it is also clear that the overwhelming preference for the
spelling of "online" is without the hyphen. We now know that hyphenated
"on-line" is not obsolete, but the American standard is "online" and SCF is
already using that form.

And, yes, the ISTC citation should be changed as well.

Anything else? Or can we safely say that the DCRM-L verdict is unqualified
"ESTC"?

Randal Brandt

Randal Brandt
Principal Cataloger