[DCRM-L] Re: DCRM(B) cataloging in OCLC

Lori Van Deman lvandeman at artic.edu
Wed Sep 12 13:38:04 MDT 2007

Amanda Sprochi asked:
"If there already exists a record on OCLC for an
item using AACR2, and I want to use DCRM(B),
A) do I make a new record, or use the already existing one (we do not
have enhance status on OCLC)"

There exists on the OCLC website a handy guide for when and when not
to crate a new record:
http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/input/

The guidelines are not explicit about DCRM(B) records, but they do
state that differences in cataloging rules do NOT justify creation of
a new record. Therefore, you would edit the existing record to
DCRM(B) rules for your local catalog, but would still be linked to
the AACR2 record in WorldCat.

Lori Van Deman
--
Lori Van Deman