[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) cataloging in OCLC

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Sep 12 13:55:04 MDT 2007

Thank you Jain and Deborah! I'd like to add that I have always assumed
enhance libraries could upgrade the master record to DCRM(B). At least
that has been and will continue to be my practice. Now that institution
records are available (or soon will be for all--I realize that at first
they're only being offered to ex-RLIN libraries), non-enhance libraries
can derive an institution record from the master record and upgrade it
to DCRM(B), which will make it available for all to use if they like.
Though it would be nice if they were clearly flagged as DCRM(B) in the
list of institution records you get when you do a search.

In our enhance negotiations with OCLC I brought this issue up and asked
if they might want to consider using parallel records for AACR2 and
DCRM(B) records for the same item, as they do with foreign language
records. I still think that might be a viable option for OCLC (a given
library might not WANT the DCRM(B) record, hard as it is for us to
imagine :-), but they told me that they did not want to do this.

By the way, Lori correctly noted that the guidelines say that
differences in cataloging rules do not justify creation of a new record.
Though this is the wrong forum to debate this, I think that's exactly
what OCLC is allowing when it allows parallel foreign language
records--one record for the English rules (AACR2, DCRM(B), etc.),
another for the German rules, another for the Dutch, etc. At least
that's one way to look at it in my opinion.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602