[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) cataloging in OCLC

Sprochi, Amanda K. sprochia at health.missouri.edu
Wed Sep 12 14:39:00 MDT 2007

Robert Maxwell said:
>In our enhance negotiations with OCLC I brought this issue up and asked
if they might want to consider using >>parallel records for AACR2 and
>DCRM(B) records for the same item, as they do with foreign language
records. I still think that might be a viable >option for OCLC (a given
library might not WANT the DCRM(B) record, hard as it is for us to
imagine :-), but they >told me that they did not want to do this.

>By the way, Lori correctly noted that the guidelines say that
differences in cataloging rules do not justify >creation of a new
record.
>Though this is the wrong forum to debate this, I think that's exactly
what OCLC is allowing when it allows >parallel foreign language
records--one record for the English rules (AACR2, DCRM(B), etc.),
another for the <German rules, another for the Dutch, etc. At least
that's one way to look at it in my opinion.

This was exactly my problem--I didn't know if "change in cataloging
rules"=dcmrb, because, well, it's not exactly a change, more like a
parallel system. And to me, it was more like a foreign language case
than a change-in-cataloging-rules case, if that makes sense. I can, and
will, of course, modify our cataloging records to dcmrb (which is sort
of the point of the exercise!) but it seems a shame that I can't then
share all that work with everyone else, not being an enhance library. I
was hoping there'd be an exception, but it seems not. Since we weren't
an RLIN library either, the institutional record option isn't open
either. Oh well.

On the first question, I think I got confused because in App. A of dcrmb
for full level it says leave the encoding level blank, and I misread
(misthought?) it as the Desc. Does one really leave it blank for dcrmb
records? We'd normally code it "I" for full level because blank usually
means you're a national library cataloging at full level, which which we
aren't.

Thanks everyone for all the help--I've been itching to get started. And
Hi Deborah, from Missouri!
amanda

> Amanda Sprochi
> Health Sciences Cataloger
> J. Otto Lottes Health Sciences Library University of Missouri-Columbia

> Health Sciences Center One Hospital Drive Columbia, MO  65212
> (573) 882-0461
> sprochia at health.missouri.edu
>
> A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over,
> their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight,
> restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in
the
> meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the horrors
> of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt......If the game

> runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till luck
> turns,
and