[DCRM-L] Saving IRs (was where do you save your files)

Auyong, Dorothy dauyong at huntington.org
Wed Sep 12 17:06:24 MDT 2007

Deborah wrote:

Not being able to save IR's is a BIG GRIPE for us, too. It would be
great if other rare book cataloging agencies put pressure on OCLC to
provide this. If I'm remembering correctly, when asked, an OCLC person
said that it was considered but not adopted because it wasn't necessary.

Yes, I had the feeling OCLC is a bit unclear on the concept in regards
to IRs=complex records. But I agree the ability to "save" IRs is
something to ask for as an enhancement. I think we may already have put
in a complaint from the Huntington, but I don't know that we got
assigned a customer service number.  I think they put it in the general
"programming enhancement" queue.

We will also be in the strange position of having Master records and IRs
for our manuscript collections -even though they are for the exact same
items.  We could choose to go for just master records for these
materials, but the Manuscripts people are very distrustful of the whole
OCLC Master Record concept and want the institutional control that we
had in RLIN. (And which we have for some extent on the IRs).

Dorothy Auyong

Principal Rare Book Cataloger

Huntington Library

dauyong at huntington.org