[DCRM-L] Where do you save your files

Wed Sep 12 16:37:24 MDT 2007

Thanks to everyone for their replies. We decided to go with local save
files, for the reasons others have enumerated. Our save files are
networked, too, so I can see everyone's.

Not being able to save IR's is a BIG GRIPE for us, too. It would be
great if other rare book cataloging agencies put pressure on OCLC to
provide this. If I'm remembering correctly, when asked, an OCLC person
said that it was considered but not adopted because it wasn't necessary.

__________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003
202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Auyong, Dorothy
Sent: Wednesday, 12 September, 2007 18:27
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Where do you save your files

Hi Deborah,

We've been using the local save file too.  We set up them up on a
networked drive so supervisors could have access to them for revision,
etc. We chose the local save file since it doesn't have the expiration
date.

Our caveat is that we cannot save IRs.  Period. So basically if we're
adding an IR to a master record, all stages of cataloging until we do
the final revision and download it into our local system are out there,
searchable and usable by the public.  Makes me and my rare book
catalogers very edgy and we try to put a fairly finished product out
there before we finish with the record for the day, BUT <grrr>

We also discovered that if you want to download an IR which is not your
own (e.g. for an acquisitions level record), you must set your
Bibliographic Institution Record Level Export Validation level to
"none".

We may investigate applying for "enhance" status, but at the moment
we're sticking with contributing IRs.

Dorothy Auyong

Principal Rare Book Cataloger

Huntington Library