[DCRM-L] scope notes for genre terms

nina at supermodern.com nina at supermodern.com
Mon Sep 17 10:38:44 MDT 2007

Good morning!

In anticipation of my move to California, I uploaded all my email from work -- or thought I had -- to a personal account. Unfortunately, the file relating to the scope note project for RBMS Genre Terms was lost. I recall many individuals who expressed interest in volunteering to work on this project, but am taking advantage of this opportunity to put out another call. Below is the original email I sent. If you had volunteered, please let me know. If you didn't, but are interested in helping out, now is your chance to speak up:

---
One of the goals of the Bibliographic Standards Committee’s Thesaurus Subcommittee is to provide scope notes (SN) for all terms found in the Controlled Vocabularies for use in Rare Book Cataloging (http://rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/controlled_vocabularies/index.shtml). As a first step, the subcommittee has identified 59 terms from the Genre Terms Thesaurus (rbgenr) that need SN’s as soon as possible, either to resolve conflicts among thesauri, or to fulfill requests from users. We are seeking volunteers to draft SN’s for these terms.

We hope to have enough volunteers so that each person will only work on five terms. If you are interested in volunteering, we ask that you first become familiar with the ANSI/NISO standard (http://www.niso.org/standards/resources/Z39-19-2005.pdf). This document will help in the formation of appropriate and succinct descriptions.

---

Please respond with your statement of interest no later than Sept. 26th so terms can be assigned accordingly.

Thanks very much.

Nina Schneider
Thesaurus Editor