[DCRM-L] DNB

Elizabeth Robinson vava_22304 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 14:37:32 MDT 2007

A copy/paste (hope it displays) of what DCM Z1 says,
just fyi, to support what Bob said about flexibility:

Citing other files or catalogs.
   If a heading is found in other manual catalogs or
online databases, use judgment in creating a 670
citation. Begin the 670 field with a designation of
the catalog/database in which these other
bibliographic records were found. There is no
prescribed formulation of such citations; examples are
listed below:
670 $a LC in OCLC, date: $b ([data])
670 $a RLIN, date $b ([data])
670 $a M/B/RS Collections Authority file $b ([data])
670 $a New Delhi MARC file $b ([data])
670 $a MWA/NAIP files $b (hdg.: ____; usage: ___;
variants: _____)
670 $a NUC pre-56: $b ([data])
670 $a NRMM $b ([data])
Library of Congress staff working with the National
Union Catalog (NUC) reports used specific library
reports in the 670 citations when creating name
authority records.
670 $a nuc85-70017: Lower and middle Pennsylvania
stratigraphy ... 1982 $b (hdg. on AAP rept.:
Sutherland, Patrick Kennedy, 1925- ; usage: Patrick K.
Sutherland)

Of course, you all can get to this from Cataloger's
Desktop. The examples *imply* a formula (if you are
following such) of:

670 __ $a [name], [date]: $b ([data])
670 __ $a [name], [date] $b (hdg.: ____; usage: ___;
variants: _____)

Which was (some of us remember) past practice before
LC became less rigid about the construction of the
670. It's been many years now, I believe.

I think the chief concern here is about the
construction of [name] (yes?), to which the DCM gives
no explicit instruction but (by the examples) suggests
some options. I personally keep things short, but if
the online version of a known resource calls itself
"Blah-blah Online", I will capture that in [name].
This is my personal thought about it, not an official
LC position.

As for search date in the 675, I try to remember to do
that too for databases or websites, although it is not
explicitly supported by MARC21 Authorities. But see
some of the examples there that include publication
date of a print source in the $a (which I think is
comparable). And note that the DCM again does not say
yay/nay. I think (personal opinion again) that
whatever is deemed necessary to fully identify the
source searched (including making a distinction
between editions or versions) is reasonable. And if
you don't think such distinction is necessary, that is
fine also.

Elizabeth A. Robinson
Team Leader
Rare Book Cataloging Team
Special Materials Cataloging Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Avenue SE, mailstop 4376
Washington, DC 20540-4376
(202)707-3408 (work)
(202)707-2453 (fax)
erob at loc.gov (email)

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are strictly my own

and not necessarily those of the Library of Congress.

=== message truncated ===