[DCRM-L] How many commas when listing things?

Sat Apr 19 15:58:18 MDT 2008

Not a rare materials question, but I hate to bother Autocat with this
and am hoping someone knows off the top of their head. Where is the
instruction to put a comma after the penultimate name/word in a list?
E.g.:

Title page: Marlowe, Shakespeare et Webster
Transcription: Marlowe, Shakespeare, et Webster

I also seem to remember that there is a different instruction for
British cataloging agencies; they would not include the comma. Any help
or advice would be much appreciated.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library