[DCRM-L] How many commas when listing things?

Tony Curwen tony.curwen at zen.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 06:06:28 MDT 2008

Dear colleagues,

Try posting this question on the EXLIBRIS list and watch the ensuing
passionate discussion about the pros and cons of penultimate commas!  This
problem has been chewed over and pronounced upon ever since the Fowlers
(and probably before them) down to Lynne Truss and maybe since.

AACR2 1.1B1 reads "Transcribe the title page exactly as to wording, order,
and spelling," [note that comma after 'order'!] "but not necessarily as to
punctuation and capitalization."  Has AACR2 anything more to say about
serial commas or similar fine points of punctuation apart from the
extensive references to prescribed punctuation and also resulting double
punctuation?  And if so, where, please?  I must admit that I haven't read
the Rules closely from cover to cover for a long time.

My instinct would be to follow an unwritten rule: When transcribing,
transcribe! -- unless there are good reasons not to do so.

A handful of French web pages I have looked at suggest that they use
commas to separate terms in a list EXCEPT when the last two are separated
by a conjunction.  However, I neither know whether there is an official
ruling from the Académie Française about that, nor have access to "Normes
de catalogage" (AFNOR, 2005).

Best regards

Anthony G. Curwen
Aberystwyth, Wales

P.S.  Do those accented/modified characters transmit properly?