[DCRM-L] How many commas when listing things?

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 14:22:40 MDT 2008

Deborah,

Were you maybe remembering LCRI 24.1A, which addresses the serial
comma in headings for corporate bodies? See below.

-Manon

8) Series of words. Add a comma to a series of words appearing in an
English-language name except before an ampersand. Exceptions:

a) For British headings, follow the punctuation in the publication,
which normally will not include a comma before the conjunction in the
series of words, e.g.,

110 1# $a Great Britain. $b Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
not
110 1# $a Great Britain. $b Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Food

b) For Canadian headings, follow the punctuation provided by Library
and Archives Canada.

Note: Headings originally established before January 1981 that are in
accord with current policy except for punctuating words in series were
coded "AACR2" before September 1982. Continue to use the existing form
of the established heading in post-August 1982 cataloging.  (Headings
other than those from Library and Archives Canada or British or Irish
headings coded after August 1982 will be in accord with AACR2 and
current LC policy.)

--
Manon Théroux
Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services