[DCRM-L] Authority work using Google Books

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Apr 22 10:11:53 MDT 2008

It's not just authority work that's affected and sometimes effected by
Google Books and other searchable online resources. I'm having a harder
and harder time editing down the things I cend up learning about a book
and its specific contents, as well as its author.

In any case, I don't suppose it hurts to indicate that a cited source
may be as immediately available to the record user as it was to the
record creator. (I haven't been doing this routinely for bib records,
but I think I should, whether in authority work or in making notes for
the public catalog. I don't worry overmuch about the lifespan of Googe
Books, nor the death of links. Truly informative catalog records are
increasingly dynamic, based on the resources available in a time and
place, which we need to account for as economically as we can.) -
Richard