[DCRM-L] FW: [EXLIBRIS-L] Edinburgh Conference Sept 2008: CILIP Rare Books and Special Collections Group

Thu Aug 7 10:34:28 MDT 2008

Dear all,

Nothing related particularly to cataloging at this conference, but I'll
be attending and hope to be able to meet some of you whom I know by name
only. And if anybody is going to be in Edinburgh between September 9 and
15, let me know--I'm taking a wee holiday.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rare book and manuscripts [mailto:EXLIBRIS-L at LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Hillyard, Brian
Sent: Thursday, 07 August, 2008 11:12
To: EXLIBRIS-L at LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: [EXLIBRIS-L] Edinburgh Conference Sept 2008: CILIP Rare Books
and Special Collections Group

Please excuse cross-posting.

If you would like to gain an overview of Scottish books across all 500
years of Scottish printing, there are still full places available for
all sessions of "'Imprenting within our Realme': Books from Scotland",
the CILIP Rare Books and Special Collections Group's annual study
conference, which will take place on Wednesday 10 - Friday 12 September
2008, at The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.   This includes
places for both of the visits, either to Sir Walter Scott's library at
Abbotsford or to the early 18th-century library at Traquair House,
Scotland's oldest inhabited house - these visits are also available for
day delegates who book for Thursday.  Wednesday's programme includes a
reception at the Scottish Parliament.

The programme and booking information (with Booking Form) is available
at
http://www.cilip.org.uk/specialinterestgroups/bysubject/rarebooks/events
/conference08
<http://www.cilip.org.uk/specialinterestgroups/bysubject/rarebooks/event
s/conference08> .

The Guest of Honour at the Conference Dinner, in the University of
Edinburgh's Playfair Library, will be Owen Dudley-Edwards, Honorary
fellow of the University of Edinburgh, who has recently published a 700+
page book on British Children's Fiction in the Second World War, and is
also an authority on Arthur Conan Doyle and General Editor of the Oxford
Sherlock Holmes.

Bookings (on the Booking Form) and enquiries about booking should go to
Ms Marianne Smith, College Librarian, Royal College of Surgeons of
Edinburgh, Nicolson Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9DW, e-mail:
msmith at rcsed.ac.uk, tel: 0131 527 1630, fax 0131 557 6406.

Please note that while the Edinburgh Convention Bureau accommodation
page is still available and describes several accommodation options, the
online booking option has now finished and anybody interested in any of
the accommodation described should telephone the ECB (the number is
given there).  There may be rooms available at the prices quoted: it's
just that they are no longer being held exclusively for our conference.

We are pleased to acknowledge generous sponsorship from Diageo, St
Andrews Institute of Historical Research, and Gale Cengage Learning.

Best wishes

Brian Hillyard

Dr Brian Hillyard

Rare Book Collections Manager

National Library of Scotland

George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1EW

E-mail: b.hillyard at nls.uk <mailto:b.hillyard at nls.uk>

Direct dial: +44 (0)131 623 3889

Fax: +44 (0)131 623 3888

Visit the National Library of Scotland online at www.nls.uk

CELEBRATING 500 YEARS OF SCOTTISH PRINTING 1508-2008
http://www.500yearsofprinting.org

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the ICT Helpdesk on
+44 131 623 3700 or ict at nls.uk and delete this e-mail.  The
statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Library of
Scotland.  The National Library of Scotland is a registered Scottish
charity.  Scottish Charity No. SC011086.  This message is subject to the
Data Protection Act 1998
and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and has been
scanned by MessageLabs.