[DCRM-L] Signature practice with odd leaf number

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Thu Aug 28 09:22:59 MDT 2008

A couple of remarks:

- It ought (per "What would Bowers do?") to be 2pi. The superscript index figure is reserved to designate a duplicate series.

- If you cannot ascertain the actual structure of a group of leaves, you shouldn't guess at a formula. There's nothing wrong with honestly writing "pi(5 leaves)" or "17(5 leaves)", with a brief account of what you don't know (for a perfectly good reason in this case).

- Is this an American book? Of what period? It may be that the signatures have nothing to do with the actual printing of the book. Of course, if your note is simply headed "Signatures" (rather than "Collation"), you're only transcribing a set of printed marks--all the more reason to be very "conservative" as to what they may or may not represent. Such notes are very useful for matching with ostensibly identical copies.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU