[DCRM-L] cataloging rare maps in books

Schroeder, Edwin edwin.schroeder at yale.edu
Wed Aug 13 11:14:58 MDT 2008

As part of our response to the Smiley thefts we have implemented instructions for describing maps in books we developed the following guidelines for describing maps www.library.yale.edu/BeinCatM/mapsinbooks.html

We looked at the idea of creating "in-analytics" for maps, but decided not to do so at this time in part due to our perspective that these maps are part of a larger bibliographic work.  Digitization of these maps is as important for identification and security.  This is done after a work is either cataloged or recataloged.

E.C. Schroeder

Edwin C. Schroeder
Head of Technical Services
Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library