[DCRM-L] Help with illustration term

Helena Zinkham hzin at loc.gov
Mon Jul 14 10:11:50 MDT 2008

In case helps with the literary-warrant aspect, here's another citation
that leans toward 'flap.'

"Flap picture" is a category of paper novelty in the "Encyclopedia of
empherema" by Maurice Rickards (NY: Routledge, 2000).

The flap picture emerged in the early 1800s and "featured an
illustration in which a part of parts of a picture could be lifted to
reveal an image underneath."   "The device was used in a wide range of
contexts--patriotic, satirical, sentimental, and not infrequently,
risque."  Later popular with greeting cards. Current example: Advent
calendars.

Helena Zinkham
Prints & Photographs Div.
Library of Congress

>>> Karen Nipps <nipps at fas.harvard.edu> 7/14/2008 10:17 AM >>>
In the world of children's books, these are known as "flap books." In
the past, for lack of a specific genre term, at both the Library
Company
and Houghton, we have taken to using the more general, but widely
recognized, LCSH term "toy and movable books". - Karen