[DCRM-L] term for margin corrections in unbound proofs?

Masha Sapp msapp at wustl.edu
Thu Jul 17 09:04:54 MDT 2008

Hello,

I've got a set of pre-publication unbound sheets of Iris Murdoch's Henry and Cato. Various adjustments to the margins have been penciled in by (presumably) the book designer. A printed sticker on each says "Margin sheets." The author herself has not made any notes on these, but they do come from her personal collection.

Does anyone know of a more precise genre term than simply "proofs" that might apply? On RBMS I found "press corrections," but I'm not sure if that's right. Glaister mentions "house corrections" in his Glossary of the book, but that's not a genre term. I'm just wondering if anyone else has cataloged something like this and what kind of genre term(s) they applied. If there's nothing out there, would this warrant suggesting a new term to RBMS? Maybe "margin sheets" or more broadly, "printer's proofs" (to distinguish from proofs corrected by the author or copy editors)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Masha Sapp
Catalog Librarian/Slavic and Romance Languages Bibliographer
Olin Library
Washington University
One Brookings Drive, Campus Box 1061
St. Louis, MO 63130