[DCRM-L] RBMS Controlled Vocabularies: Printing in Gold

nina at supermodern.com nina at supermodern.com
Mon Mar 3 14:44:30 MST 2008

Hi Everyone:

As you may remember from the Midwinter meeting in Philadelphia, the term "Printing in Gold" was tentatively approved by BSC on the condition that we find warrant for the two UF's. We have found warrant for one of these: "Gold printing."

We cannot find warrant for "Printing in gilt."

Therefore, the Thesaurus team proposes omitting "Printing in gilt" as a non-preferred term.

If there are no objections, the term will be added to list of approved terms on the web site.  If there are objections, we'll discuss it again at Annual in Anaheim.

If you object, please let me know by the end of the day Friday, March 7th.

Thanks!

THESAURUS: Printing Evidence
TERM: Printing in gold
HIERARCHY: [Pressman's work]
SN: Use for letterpress in which text and/or designs are printed in gold.
UF: Gold, printing in
UF: Gold printing
BT: [Pressman's work]
HN: Candidate term, 09/2007
WARRANT:
"The first printed edition of Euclid, Praeclarissimus liber elementorum Euclidis in artem geometriae. Venice: Erhard Ratdolt. Dated 25 May, 1482. The only known fifteenth-century example of printing in gold is seen in the Dedication [to the Doge]." Clair, Colin. Chronology of Printing. London, 1969. p. 25.

Hubber, Brian. An essay on printing in gold. The La Trobe Journal, no. 67, autumn 2001. http://calisto.slv.vic.gov.au/latrobejournal/issue/latrobe-67/t1-g-t7.html

+-------
Nina Schneider
Head Cataloger