[DCRM-L] Relator term for an addressee

Adrienne Pruitt adriennel.pruitt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:50:28 MST 2008

Dear list,

Please help! I have an exhibition catalogue that contains extensive
annotations, dictated by one party and transcribed by another. So far, so
good: Party A is listed in a 700 field with a subfield e, annotator, and a
subfield 5, my institution's code. Party B is likewise listed in a 700 field
with a subfield e, transcriber, and subfield 5, institution code. The
problem is that this quite lengthy annotation (well, diatribe, really) is
addressed *to* someone.  How should I record the addressee? My choice of
relator terms seems to be: 1) associated name, vague but true; 2)
correspondent, though there is no sign that the addressee ever received a
copy; and 3) recipient, which again, although I have no evidence the
addressee ever actually received the item, seems to be technically correct
as the MARC Code List: Relator Terms says only "Use for a person or
organization to whom correspondence is addressed."
If anybody has any thoughts on this I would be most grateful for
suggestions.

Thank you,

Adrienne Pruitt

Processing Archivist and Assistant Librarian

The Barnes Foundation

300 North Latch's Lane

Merion, PA 19066

610-667-0290 ext. 1043