[DCRM-L] Library ID codes/$5 in master records

Wickenden Jane cat1 at inm.mod.uk
Thu Oct 30 11:47:12 MDT 2008

I am with Dan on this; there are occasions when copy-specific material
changes what is known of the book.

When I was working with the Early Printed Books Project at Oxford I was
handling a 16th-century book which all known sources recorded as
anonymous. But the copy in hand had "Given by me the author, XYZ" (I
can't remember his name, but he was a member of the college) inscribed
on the title page.

Anecdotal evidence but it does show how it can be difficult to pick
one's way through DCRB at the best of times.

Regards

Jane

Jane Wickenden
Historic Collections Librarian