[DCRM-L] ESTC and the revision of SCF

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Sep 9 18:29:33 MDT 2008

I completely agree with you, Donald, about Bleiler and Reginald. I think this sort of laconic citation is horrible, and I do do science fiction and have no idea what they are. I think, however, the argument that has been put forward is that "ESTC" is not laconic, given the arguments that have already been made, and additionally given that the database itself refers to itself as "ESTC" (see its main page). I don't think anybody's arguing in favor of keeping those impossible Bleilers and Reginalds. It's a matter of judgment on what's laconic and what's not.

I also don't agree that catalogers should not be consulted on this question (i.e. we are the "wrong" focus group), since we are the ones who will have to do a great deal of work to revise tens of thousands of records (at least in my catalog I want all my records citing sources like this to appear in a uniform way since they're indexed) if a change is made. Balancing the benefits of a change (if any) against the amount of work needed to effect the change, is always appropriate. So catalogers are "a" right focus group to consult. Several of us have also pointed out that we are not the only group that should be consulted, and I hope this question will find its way to exlibris (perhaps with a summary of the cataloger point of view, if one exists).

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Metadata Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568