[DCRM-L] ESTC and the revision of SCF

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Sep 10 17:41:03 MDT 2008

Good idea! It would be great if the OCLC master record for as many of these as possible had the citation form embedded in it. And as new ones came up if the first person to use it in a 510 added a 524 to the master record for the bibliography the rest of us who come along later could use the same form in our records. I think it would greatly enhance standardization of these forms.

In case people want to do this, I urge the authors of the new Standard Citations to get a code for Standard Citations listed for subfield 2 of 524 ("source of schema used") (see http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relaothr.html#rela524b). Is the group working on this thinking of doing that? I hope you will. The field would look something like

524    Cioranescu, A.  18. s. $2 scf [or whatever the code winds up being]

That way if there were some other citation form wanted for the bibliography in addition to Standard Citations (maybe this is some sort of medical bibliography and the NLM recommended format for bibliographic citation is also wanted) the field could be repeated with whatever citations styles are wanted.

By the way, I notice none of the codes listed at http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relaothr.html#rela524b are for archival citation styles, so the field is clearly being used beyond the archival community.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Metadata Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568