[DCRM-L] Signatures question

Mon Sep 22 13:11:57 MDT 2008

Hi Carol.

That's the rule for Library of Congress catalogers. It was stated
explicitly in DCRB, but no such explicit statement appears in DCRM(B). I
assume, at least, that LC catalogers are still using 1800 as their
cut-off.

Whether to provide signature statements or not purely is a local policy
(except many for incunables--I don't have DCRMB in front of me).
However, a cut-off based on hand-press vs. machine-press makes more
sense than an arbitrary 1800 date. Even until 1830, most of the books
were hand-press. And even in the machine-press era, most books until the
mid-20th century have signatures.

Note, for example, that the European Hand-Press Database contains
imprints through 1830.

My main point is that if locally you've decided to limit giving
signature statements by century of publication, it makes more
artefactual sense to choose 1830 as your cut-off point.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu   202.675-0369 (t)   202.675-0328 (f)
www.folger.edu