[DCRM-L] Cataloging known forgeries

Alison Bridger aebridger at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 15:05:24 MDT 2009

Are these manuscript forgeries or print forgeries? We have quite a few manuscript Shakespeare forgeries here at the Folger. Here is how we have dealt with them (from our in house wiki so might not be entirely clear):

	* Please note that the subdivision "Forgeries"
is for topical use ($x) & not as a form subdivision ($v) (despite
what appears on many Folger cards)
100 1_ Ireland, W. H. ǂq (William Henry), ǂd 1777-1835, ǂe forger.
245 10 Forgeries of manuscript signatures by W.H. Ireland ǂh [manuscript], ǂf [18th or 19th century].
300    2 items.
520    Examples of W.H. Ireland's attempts at the autographs
of Elizabeth I and William Shakespeare. Also, an envelope that is blank
except for the printed address: 29 Kingsway, London W.C.2.
600 10 Elizabeth ǂb I, ǂc Queen of England, ǂd 1533-1603 ǂv Spurious and doubtful works ǂv Manuscripts.
600 10 Shakespeare, William, ǂd 1564-1616 ǂv Spurious and doubtful works ǂv Manuscripts.
655 _7 Literary hoaxes ǂy 18th century ǂv Manuscripts. ǂ2 rbgenr
655 _7 Manuscripts ǂy 18th century. ǂ2 aat
655 _7 Literary hoaxes ǂy 19th century ǂv Manuscripts. ǂ2 rbgenr
655 _7 Manuscripts ǂy 19th century. ǂ2 aat
(Y.d.776)

NOTE: Example of a Facsimile of a forgery
100 1_ Ireland, W. H. ǂq (William Henry), ǂd 1777-1835, ǂe forger.
245 10 Facsimile of forgery by W.H. Ireland, [18th or 19th century].
260    ǂc [18th or 19th century]
300    1 item.
520    Passage in W.H. Ireland's secretary hand. Note at bottom reads: Fac-simile to face the Title of Vortigern v. Act 5.
600 10 Shakespeare, William, ǂd 1564-1616  ǂv Spurious and doubtful works ǂv Manuscripts ǂv Facsimiles.
655 _7 Literary hoaxes ǂy 18th century ǂv Manuscripts ǂv Facsimiles. ǂ2 rbgenr
655 _7 Manuscripts ǂy 18th century ǂv Facsimiles. ǂ2 aat
655 _7 Literary hoaxes ǂy 19th century ǂv Manuscripts. ǂ2 rbgenr
655 _7 Manuscripts ǂy 19th century ǂv Facsimiles. ǂ2 aat
7001_ Ireland, W. H. ǂq (William Henry), ǂd 1777-1835. ǂt Vortigern.
(Y.d.773)
	* Trace as subjects both the correspondent and receipt of spurious and doubtful correspondence.
245 00 Letters on the topic of Shakspeare versus Shakespeare ǂh [manuscript], ǂf 18th or 19th century?
300  26 leaves.
520 2  Undated. A letter to the editor of the Court Journal,
arguing that the poet's name should be pronounced "Shachspeare," with
the editor's reply. Copies of letters from Shakespeare to Anne Hathaway
written originally by W.H. Ireland and some correspondence of Samuel
Ireland and John Jordan about "Shakespearean" relics.
600 10 Shakespeare, William, ǂd 1564-1616 ǂx Name ǂv Manuscripts.
600 10 Shakespeare, William, ǂd 1564-1616 ǂx Relics ǂv Manuscripts.
600 10 Shakespeare, William, ǂd 1564-1616 ǂx Forgeries ǂv Manuscripts.
600 10 Ireland, Samuel, ǂd d. 1800 ǂv Correspondence ǂv Manuscripts.
600 10 Jordan, John, ǂd 1746-1809 ǂv Correspondence ǂv Manuscripts.
600 10 Shakespeare, William, ǂd 1564-1616 ǂv Correspondence ǂv Spurious and doubtful works ǂv Manuscripts.
600 10 Hathaway, Anne, ǂd 1556?-1623 ǂv Correspondence ǂv Spurious and doubtful works ǂv Manuscripts.
655 7  Manuscripts ǂy 18th century. ǂ2 aat
655 7  Manuscripts ǂy 19th century. ǂ2 aat
655 7  Letters ǂy 18th century ǂv Manuscripts. ǂ2 rbgenr
655 7 Letters ǂy 19th century ǂv Manuscripts. ǂ2 rbgenr
7001  Ireland, W. H. ǂq (William Henry), ǂd 1777-1835.
7001  Ireland, Samuel, ǂd d. 1800, ǂe correspondent.
7001  Jordan, John, ǂd 1746-1809, ǂe correspondent.
(S.a.136)

Spurious and doubtful works: Use for discussions
or collections of works attributed to the person at some previous time.
Do not use for a single work. (Subject Cataloging Manual)

Forgeries: Use for discussions of forgeries of
the person's creative works or signature. In the case of individual
forgeries, assign an additional heading for the name of the forger.
(SCM)
Hope that helps,

Alison
Alison E. Bridger, M.S.L.I.S.