[DCRM-L] Cataloging known forgeries

Linda, Oksana olinda at umich.edu
Wed Aug 19 15:52:57 MDT 2009

Hello:

At the Clements we have some books with forged illustrations and inscriptions. One example that comes to mind is "Boots and saddles," or, Life in Dakota with General Custer / by Elizabeth B. Custer. The item includes forged illustrations and inscriptions by Eugene Field II.

I included the following local notes and subject headings:

590 |a Extra-illustrated with forged illustrations, bookplate, and inscriptions by Eugene Field II (1880-1946). Forgeries include two pen-and-ink and watercolor drawings of Frederic Remington. First image is of an Indian pony arrayed in blankets and other tribal items with papoose containing a small Indian child; beneath the drawing is ms. inscription "My Book Frederic Remington" with a "kicking horse" drawn leaping from "F" as part of the signature. Field uses brown ink for his Remington signatures. Second less elaborate image is a watercolor of a peace pipe and arrow, with forged Remington's signature in ms. and another "kicking horse," also in brown ink.

590 |a Includes photo-engraved fake bookplate of the writer Eugene Field (1850-1895) with his forged ms. signature and forged inscription with sentiment of William F. Cody.

60010 |a Remington, Frederic, |d 1861-1909 |x Forgeries.
60010 |a Field, Eugene, |d 1850-1895 |x Forgeries.
60000	|a Buffalo Bill, |d 1846-1917 |x Forgeries.
650 0 |a Literary forgeries and mystifications.

I hope it helps.
/Oksana.

Oksana Katerine Linda
University of Michigan