[DCRM-L] ISBD Area 0 (content form; media type) and Rare Materials cataloging

Spicher, Karen karen.spicher at yale.edu
Fri Jan 16 12:29:44 MST 2009

The general material designation is included as an option in DCRM (Music).  I think this or something like it should be an option, so that a repository can make a local decision depending on local opac search and display functions.  I like the idead of separating this information into one or more separate fields, though the question is how will systems display and search these fields.  At the Beinecke Library, we don't use 245 $h for manuscripts, relying instead on record type for search limits (and information in the 520 for identification and description of manuscripts).  It does seem like next generation opacs are identifying manuscripts and other formats in opac displays by record type.

Just a few thoughts,

Karen

Karen Spicher
Archivist
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240
e-mail: karen.spicher at yale.edu