[DCRM-L] Help needed in thinking through order of Area 1

Jennifer K. Nelson jnelson at law.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 29 15:09:24 MDT 2009

Hello fabulous MSS Working Group!

I'm sneakily writing to just our little group and not to the whole
dcrm-mss list b/c I don't want any interlopers weighing in on this yet :)

I am taking a first stab at inserting our Area 1 Version 5 into a Word
doc using the style sheet framework of DCRM(B) (header1s, 2s, 3s, normal
paragraph text, examples, etc.) and I am having a hard time deciding
whether or not "Supplied Title" should come before "Formal Title" or
vice versa. We decided in our meeting that "Supplied Title" should come
first because that will be the treatment given to the majority of
manuscripts. So far so good.

HOWEVER, if ST goes first, that pushes the "Preliminary Rule" and
"Prescribed Punctuation," etc. into a weird place, does it not? Or does
that stuff also apply to supplied titles? It would seem that it would
not since - for example with letters, ledgers and such - we build titles
that include the author's name so the author/creator's name would not be
preceded by a diagonal slash.

It doesn't make sense to have something called Preliminary Rule be
inserted half way into the text.

On the other hand, if we don't put Supplied Title first, we have to get
through "Formal Title," "Parallel Titles" and "Other Title Information"
before there's a natural place for ST to be fit in - just before
"Statements of Responsibility."

So, I'm stuck. Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Jenny

--
Jennifer K. Nelson
Reference Librarian