[DCRM-L] Criteria for identifying books needing flat shelving

Ann Myers amyers at lib.siu.edu
Tue Jun 9 14:46:58 MDT 2009

We shelve anything over 34 cm. in an oversize section, and anything over
40 cm in flat shelving. These cutoffs are dictated by our shelving
constraints; we also shelve anything too wide to fit completely on the
shelf in the flat shelving, but I don't have a measurement for that at
the moment. I believe the cutoff for the general collection at SIU is
anything over 44 cm goes to flat shelving. As others have mentioned, we
call our flat shelving folio even though it might not be the
bibliographic format of the books shelved there.

--Ann

Ann Myers

Special Collections Cataloger

Morris Library Mail Code 6632