[DCRM-L] use of SD early works under SH Jesus Christ

Tue Mar 10 13:44:17 MDT 2009

I'm sure, Kate, that catalogers in your shop are quite aware of the SCM
rules. I included the excerpt for general education purposes.

I strolled through some parts of the SCM, looking for a definition of
what constituted "topical subject headings", but couldn't find anything.
In trying to formulate how I understand the relationship between proper
names and proper names divided by a topical subdivision, I came up with
the following. I'd like to know whether it generally holds and could be
used as a rule of thumb, or whether it breaks down at some point.

If using as a subject a name heading exactly as it appears in the name
authority file, it is a name used as a subject heading, but is not a
topical heading. If using a name with subdivisions, either exactly (as
in Jesus or Shakespeare) or because it follows a pattern heading, it
becomes a topical subject heading.

So, Shakespeare has dozens of headings established in the name authority
file. They are all either names for himself or names for his works.
There are hundreds of records for Shakespeare established in the subject
authority file, consisting of his name followed by one or more topical
or form subdivisions, therefore rendering them topical subject
headings-not in terms of tagging, but in following provisions in the
SCM. Likewise, Shakespeare's Hamlet is established as such in the NAF,
but the name heading for Hamlet subdivided by one or more topical or
form subdivisions creates hundreds of subject headings in the SAF.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.