[DCRM-L] Encoding level

Monica Kauppi mkaupp at law.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 12 09:06:27 MDT 2009

We would use encoding level K for this purpose as well. I thought that 7
would be the equivalent, but it seems from the description that 5 might be
more appropriate if the record isn't considered "final" (or might be
upgraded)...

>From http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/fixedfield/elvl.shtm

5 Partial (preliminary) level.  A record in process. Such a record is not
final. You cannot make assumptions
                                        about the status of the headings
or the descriptive cataloging level.

7 Minimal-level.                        A record that meets the National
Level Bibliographic Recordspecifications.
                                        The creating agency considers such
a record final. Headings are checked
                                        against an authority file and
reflect established forms to the extent that such
                                        forms are available at the time
the Minimal-level record was created.

                                        OCLC participants cataloging
online at Minimal-level, use K.

Monica Kauppi
Cataloger
Diamond Law Library
Columbia Law School
435 W. 116th St.
NY, NY 10027
mkaupp at law.columbia.edu

"Mascaro,Michelle J" <mjm125 at uakron.edu>
Sent by: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
03/12/2009 10:45 AM
Please respond to
DCRM Revision Group List <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>

DCRM Revision Group List <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [DCRM-L] Encoding level

In this situation, I've used encoding level K (Less-than-full input by
OCLC participants) in the past, so if someone who knew the language better
than me came along they could improve upon my subject analysis, etc. and
replace the OCLC master.  I've never used encoding 5, but that does also
look like a possibility.

Michelle Mascaro
Special Collections Cataloger
University of Akron