[DCRM-L] question regarding date

buettnerl at csl.edu buettnerl at csl.edu
Tue Mar 24 13:11:21 MDT 2009

Thanks Joe.

I'm going to ILL that book right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lyle E. Buettner
Special Collections
Concordia Seminary Library
801 Seminary Place
St. Louis, MO  63105
phone: 314-505-7035
fax: 314-505-7046
buettnerl at csl.edu<mailto:buettnerl at csl.edu>
________________________________
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Ross
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:47 PM
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Cc: dleslie at folger.edu
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] question regarding date

Lyle,

I have not seen these before in imprints, but I have seen discussions of these numbers.  Karl Menninger mentions them in his discussion of Roman numerals in Number Words and Number Symbols (Dover, 1969).  I only have the German text in front of me.  The English translation is checked out.  But it should not be hard to find.  The discussion of Roman (German) numerals is in v. 2, p. 90 of the German text.  Menninger cites some German account books which use this notation and inn a church date.  For 1859 Gulden: I(superscript M) viij (superscript)C lix Gulden.
In most cases the C is superscript but not always.  XV . C. et II (=1502) MVI (superscript c) XII (=1612).  This was also used outside of Germany.  Menninger quotes a papal bull which uses the notation.  Menninger thinks that it is an attempt to establish place value in Roman numerals, at least to a certain extent.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Joe