[DCRM-L] Question: Local notes in OCLC master records

Auyong, Dorothy dauyong at huntington.org
Mon Nov 16 13:34:32 MST 2009

Bob,

You used to be able to search, but not display IRs in WorldCat.  This was problematic at best as you'd get a result (my favorite was "Francis Bacon Library, former owner" which turned up as "author" with the relator term stripped on several 16th-19th century titles) showing only the Master Record and the relevant IR and supporting cataloging information was completely opaque to the searcher.  "Francis Bacon Library" turned up as the main entry for titles that had no 1xx.  Argh.  They seem to have "fixed" that.  Honestly, most of our curators have completely given up on using WorldCat, especially when FBRIzed records started leading them down the garden path of thinking we owned particular editions when we didn't.  I completely agree that OCLC's decision to "bury" IRs defeats the purpose.  There's a richness of information in individual records (even if I say so myself) for rare materials that is being completely ignored and lost in hue and cry for "one size fits all" efficiencies.

You can still search IRs in First Search, but have to have your parameters set to do so.  The default is NOT to include them, and probably most Reference/Public services staff aren't aware of the option anyway.  The following is clipped from OCLC's "Searching WorldCat" documentation. (http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/searching/searchworldcatindexes/)

Retrieving IRs in FirstSearch. You can retrieve and view IRs only if your authorization has been set for IRs using the FirstSearch administration module. To view IRs:

When you have the IR search option selected in your FirstSearch module, WorldCat records that have attached IRs display a More Records label with a Show record information link. Click the link to see attached IRs.

Comprehensive information on IRs:

 *   Connexion client: See the Cataloging guide, Use Bibliographic Institution Records<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/connexion/client/cataloging/IRrecords/>.
 *   Connexion browser: See Use Institution Records<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/firstsearch/using/UsingInstitutionRecords/FS_Institution_Records_quick_ref.pdf>.
 *   FirstSearch: See the FirstSearch: Using Institution Records<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/firstsearch/using/UsingInstitutionRecords/FS_Institution_Records_quick_ref.pdf> quick reference.   [I've embedded the link here: http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/firstsearch/using/UsingInstitutionRecords/FS_Institution_Records_quick_ref.pdf ]

P.S. I agree with Richard's sentiments as well, and if I were half so eloquent, I'd say he'd taken the words right out my mouth.  ;-)

Dorothy Auyong
Principal Rare Book Cataloger
Huntington Library
dauyong at huntington.org<mailto:dauyong at huntington.org>