[DCRM-L] Question: Local notes in OCLC master records

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Mon Nov 16 12:40:38 MST 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my take on remarks from OCLC staff who've
briefed meetings of the MARC for Special Collections DG is that they
have no intention of making any use whatever of IRs in any product,
including even WorldCat Local. They seem to have been a concession to
traumatized RLIN Libraries, and quickly proved to be problematic in the
programming environment of OCLC. When I see which of many (many!)
duplicate master records some of our RLIN records were matched with, my
heart sinks. From Neimann-Marcus to WalMart, the way of the world...

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU