[DCRM-L] Question: Local notes in OCLC master records

Maria Oldal OLDALM at themorgan.org
Mon Nov 16 15:05:25 MST 2009

Our observation is that no field with |5 falls out of the Master Records, including 246, 500, 541, 561, 563, 655, 700, etc., whether the records were batch loaded or added in the Connexion client as a combination of new Master and corresponding Institution Records (the two records are created with one click). We don't have 590s in our records, so I'm not sure what happens to those. We hope that eventually the OCLC quality control team will develop an algorithm that will automatically remove these fields from the Master Records at the time records are added to the database.

--
Maria Oldal
Head of Cataloging and Database Maintenance

TEL: 212-590-0382
FAX: 212-768-5680
NET: oldalm at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Museum's comprehensive collections catalog,
now on the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> "Auyong, Dorothy" <dauyong at huntington.org> 11/16/2009 2:31 PM >>>

Whenever we create a Master Record/Institutional Record combination, I have instructed our catalogers to remove all local notes and tracings from the Master.

I seem to remember that 590 and 500 notes tagged |5 will automatically be stripped from the Master record.  Added entries (7xx) and 655 (form genre) headings coded |5 will NOT be automatically stripped and I have my catalogers strip those from the Master.  Without the corresponding justification in the local note, they are just bad “noise” in an MR.

I don’t know that the option to create IRs was ever extended to OCLC libraries or it remains a legacy of we few, proud and unapologetic former RLIN libraries <smile>

Dorothy Auyong
Principal Rare Book Cataloger
Huntington Library
dauyong at huntington.org