[DCRM-L] Question: Local notes in OCLC master records

Jane Stemp Wickenden jane.wickenden at zen.co.uk
Mon Nov 16 15:32:46 MST 2009

Like Randal I can think of one occasion when what would normally be
considered a copy-specific note went into the bibliographic record, in this
case as follows: 500 $a Recorded in all reference sources as Anonymous, but
bearing in the -- library copy the inscription "Given by --- the Author Ao
Dni 15[whatever-it-was]". That was an unusual example, admittedly.

Cataloguing in what was then GEAC when I was (1995-1998) on Oxford's Early
Printed Books Project, we used the 852 option for copy-specific notes, which
could be opened up to a reader using the OPAC,  unless specifically hidden.
I find fewer and fewer library management systems being this flexible (e.g.
in a recent hunt for a new LMS for the much smaller library I am working on
now) and regret its disappearance.

Best regards

Jane Wickenden

  _____