[DCRM-L] Question: Local notes in OCLC master records

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 16 14:25:24 MST 2009

Getting back to the original question (and ignoring, for the moment, the
subsequent OCLC-RLIN tangent), I agree with Richard. Copy-specific
information is just that, copy-specific, and, as such, does not belong
in the master record. The only exception is when that copy-specific
information is used as the basis of  description in the record. But,
using copy-specific information as the basis of description should only
done with great caution and cataloger's judgment.

For example, an undated book with a manuscript inscription that at least
puts the date of publication in the ballpark and can be used as the
basis of a conjectural date should be included. However, the
copy-specific information *must* be clearly identified by means of the $5.

260    ... ,$c [1910?] {/or/ [before 1910] /or/ [not after 1910]}
500    Date of publication conjectured from date of inscription in
Bancroft Library copy. $5 CU-BANC

[Obviously, in the above example, the book would also have to exhibit
other characteristics of the early 20th century in order to use an
inscription as the basis of a date.]

Another example is when the description is based on an imperfect copy
and the details of a perfect copy cannot be determined. The
copy-specific imperfection should be noted, again with $5 (see DCRM(B)
0B2.2).

Randy

--
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.