[DCRM-L] BIBCO Standard Record

Fletcher, Jain jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 15 11:10:54 MDT 2009

Hi,

   My guess is that the BSR applies to "modern" materials only. Bob
knows this (since we were on the group that responded to it, on behalf
of the DCRB Core), but part of our response was BSC needed to have
people representing our "constituency of catalogers" consider the DCRB
Core against the new BSR.  My guess is that when this report mentions
"other formats", it just means the other materials that already had been
cover by a "core" standard.  There's another factor in favor of my
belief; they are careful to mention that AACR2 is intended for use by
catalogers knowledgeable in AACR2, LCRIs and the like-no mention of the
DCRMs.  So, I have every reason to believe that the final paragraph is
meant to include DCRB Core as another "format":

"Another issue is how the BSR is expanded from the current proposal to a
wider range of formats. With the adoption of the BSR for printed
monographs, the BIBCO full and core standards cannot be abolished
immediately because they are still needed for all other formats. PCC
needs a transition plan for the BSR and the older standards until such
time as the BSR is adopted for all formats."

   Bob is correct to be concerned, however, because if this
interpretation is not clear to us, then it is not clear to anyone. My
original reason for strongly urging that the RBMS BSC create a DCRB Core
(in 1997 or so) was that it would be in place and recognized as the way
to treat earlier materials. Without a new "BSR Rare" (or, DCRM(B) Core
or whatever) in place, that "trigger" (to use another set of rules on
older materials) is not present.

   I can check with a few of the members of the BSR TG to see if my
interpretation is correct. Then I might also see if anyone can give us
ideas on how BSC can request that they make a clarification to their
report that shows that DCRB Core is one of those formats that will need
to be considered for the BSR downgrade ...  oops, I mean, upgrade.
(Yeah, that's right!     ;-)
--Jain

Jain Fletcher
Principal Cataloger & Head, Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575

v: (310) 794-4096
f: (310) 206-1864
e: jfletchr at library.ucla.edu <mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu>