[DCRM-L] FW: BSR and rare books/material

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Oct 15 13:36:15 MDT 2009

In practice, for our cataloging at BYU there is no DCRM(B) difference between a core PCC record and a full PCC record. The only difference is that we label the record PCC core when we omit the call number, which DCRM(B) doesn't cover. Otherwise the record is identical to a DCRM(B) full record (not that we necessarily invoke every single DCRM(B) option, of course). We only code DCRM(B) records as core when we are going to use a local call number scheme and don't think it worthwhile (or don't have the time) to work out a national-level call number for each item. (And also of course we also only do this when we're creating PCC/BIBCO records, which is most of the time, but when we aren't doing PCC/BIBCO we don't think the various BIBCO standards apply particularly.)

I believe DCRM(B) Appendix C follows the information in the BIBCO rare core ("DCRB Core") standard pretty exactly http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/bibco/coredcrb.html.

The publication of Appendix C with DCRM(B) makes the DCRB core pretty intimately related to DCRM(B). However, it might be worthwhile for BSC to take the initiative and volunteer to update DCRB core into a "BIBCO Standard Record for Rare Printed Monographs."

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602