[DCRM-L] FW: BSR and rare books/material

Stephen Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 15 15:02:14 MDT 2009

I've just emerged from a daylong candidate interview, and have just have
time to read through these emails fairly quickly.

Clearly, Bib Standards needs to explore the implications of all this, and
there appear to be a few intertwined issues. But I'm not in a BIBCO library,
and I am ignorant of some of the politics in play. The power structure
(BIBCO in relation to The Rest Of Us) isn't entirely clear to me.

So I'll want to confer with one or two of the individuals who've commented
here. And then it seems we'll want a BSC subgroup to begin working on it.

But a question, arising from my ignorance of the power structures here: is
it clear that we'll need to devise a BSR for rare materials, or is there
another approach that could work? To put it another way: is it really a
given that core records are out of favor and are being eliminated, in which
case we needn't bother trying to defend (or update) the existing "DCRB
core"?

Stephen
(Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee)

Stephen Skuce
Rare Books Program Coordinator
Institute Archives and Special Collections
MIT Room 14N-118
77 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
617.253.0654