[DCRM-L] signatures with *

John Lancaster jlancaster at amherst.edu
Thu Oct 15 19:51:53 MDT 2009

I think an asterisk is by definition positioned above the middle of the
line, aligned (more or less) with the upper half of ascenders - the OCLC
version is just a little smaller and higher than many.  Unicode has a
"low asterisk" character (U+204E), which would seem ideal for the
collational formula, but it's available in very few fonts.  The
Wikipedia article on asterisk has a chart with a couple of dozen
variants of asterisk found in Unicode.

We could have fun with the definition of "superscript" (does it describe
any character that lives high on the line, or does it describe a
character that has been reduced in size and positioned higher than
normal?).  The OED defines the noun in terms of the adjective: "A
superscript character"; and then defines the adjective as: "Written
above a letter, or above the line of writing."  (Seems to imply
manuscript.)  Wikipedia has an interesting article on
superscripts/subscripts, focusing on typographic design.

But as Deborah says, we have only one choice in the character set
available to us; otherwise, we have to spell it out, and there are
enough cumbersome work-arounds in signature collations in OCLC records
as it is ([superscript pi], e.g.).

Of no relevance whatsoever to this particular discussion, Richard Wilbur
has quite a good poem on the asterisk, which happens to be one of the
pages accessible in the Google Books preview version of his Collected
Poems 1943-2004; see

http://books.google.com/books?id=0JiVqqFx_X8C&pg=PA386&lpg=PA386&dq=aste
risk+%22richard+wilbur%22+%22games+one%22&source=bl&ots=fy60Ge0PdV&sig=3
JCQGwgnIfwx3ww0MMgMBBnggj8&hl=en&ei=k9DXSsQ5jqWUB762lKEB&sa=X&oi=book_re
sult&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false  (or Google
the combination <asterisk "richard wilbur" "games one">)

--

John Lancaster (jlancaster at amherst.edu)

P.O. Box 775

Williamsburg, MA 01096-0775