[DCRM-L] signatures with *

Thu Oct 15 15:59:09 MDT 2009

Hello Charles,

About the supersriptness of the asterisk, I think that a superscript
asterisk is what is in the character set; we don't have an option to
make a baseline asterisk. So, technically it IS a superscript.

I also use the * in signature statements as I think most (all?) of us
do, but it does sometimes make parsing the signature statement confusing
and difficult. What would be the alternative? Using "[asterisk]"?

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Kate Moriarty
Sent: Thursday, 15 October, 2009 17:39
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] signatures with *

Charles,

I've always gone ahead and used the * character even though it looks
like a superscript (though from Mike's response it sounds like it may
not be) and looks a bit odd preceding a superscript number. I've
interpreted DCRM(B) 7B9.2 as allowing the use of the character since the
character it exists, but that may be because I've gotten used to
automatically reading asterisks in signature statements as baseline
characters, not superscripts.

-Kate

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Mike Garabedian