[DCRM-L] 773 title indexing

Dick Miller dick at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 1 14:58:18 MDT 2009

Lane Medical Library uses Voyager. We have two principal title
indexes. The regular one includes titles and variants of titles (e.g.
130 245, 246)
The related title index indicates titles of related works (e.g. 773, 780, 830)

Similarly, we have a control no. index and related control no.
index.  This allows you to find a record or all it's relatives, great
in the case of analytics and components.

This works for staff, but ideally public access would have one title
index, with subordinate groups of titles that could be expanded when
someone wants to see all the titles in a series; likewise the
individual titles would file separately. We try to keep the data
coherent and lobby for improved user interface.

Great question.  Dick

At 01:12 PM 9/1/2009, you wrote:
>Is field 773 title-indexed in your opac?
>
>We have a number of printed books in our collections that are
>heavily extra-illustrated and/or have numerous manuscripts tipped or
>bound in. Our plan is to create analytic records for these added
>materials. However, because of title indexing in the 773, it is
>nearly impossible to find the record for the actual book.
>
>I'm interested in knowing whether anyone else has this problem, or
>doesn't have it because you've found a way around it.
>
>Thanks,
>Deborah
>
>__________________________
>Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
>RBMS Chair 2009-2010 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
>201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
>djleslie at folger.edu | <http://www.folger.edu/>http://www.folger.edu

Dick R. Miller
Director for Resource Management
Lane Medical Library & Knowledge Management Center
Information Resources & Technology (IRT)
Stanford University Medical Center
300 Pasteur Drive, L109, Stanford, CA 94305-5123
dick at stanford.edu
Calendaring via Sundial
650.725.4615 (phone)  650.725-7471 (fax)