[DCRM-L] 773 title indexing

Maria Oldal OLDALM at themorgan.org
Tue Sep 1 15:05:11 MDT 2009

Deborah,

We use Voyager's Bibliographic Record Linking feature to show a list of analytic records linked to the parent record and a link back to the parent from each analytic record. You can do a search in CORSAIR (http://corsair.themorgan.org/) for "PML 52349" and follow the links back and forth. The linking is done on corresponding 772t (parent record) and 773t (analytic records) values. If not for this linking feature, the parent record would be lost in the title index.

Maria

--
Maria Oldal
Head of Cataloging and Database Maintenance

TEL: 212-590-0382
FAX: 212-768-5680
NET: oldalm at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Museum's comprehensive collections catalog,
now on the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> "Deborah J. Leslie" <DJLeslie at FOLGER.edu> 9/1/2009 4:12:56 PM >>>

Is field 773 title-indexed in your opac?

We have a number of printed books in our collections that are heavily extra-illustrated and/or have numerous manuscripts tipped or bound in. Our plan is to create analytic records for these added materials. However, because of title indexing in the 773, it is nearly impossible to find the record for the actual book.

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone else has this problem, or doesn't have it because you've found a way around it.

Thanks,
Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
RBMS Chair 2009-2010 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu