[DCRM-L] Showing alternation of gatherings in MARC

Wed Sep 2 13:56:20 MDT 2009

This has been my practice as well. I don't think a "superior dot" will
work, though, because isn't it a diacritic that goes directly above a
character?

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Randal Brandt
Sent: Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 15:38
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Showing alternation of gatherings in MARC

My practice has been to use the dot in the center of the line, which is
available in the OCLC character set. Precedence for this can be found in
Examples to Accompany Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Books, 2nd ed. (see
Example 31).

Randy

Nickeson, Walter wrote:

How to show, in MARC, the regular alternation of gatherings in a
signature statement? There is no superscript slash to use in something
like "A-M^8/4". A glance at some records in OCLC shows separating
superscript numbers with a slash, a superior dot or a dot in center of
line, and even a space. There is also the practice of using descriptive
text in place of superscripts, such as "A-M in alternate gatherings of 8
and 4."

  Walter F. Nickeson, Catalog &
    Metadata Management Librarian
  Rush Rhees Library
  University of Rochester
  Rochester, NY  14627-0055
  wnickeson at library.rochester.edu
  (585) 273-2326  fax: (585) 273-1032

Randal Brandt
Principal Cataloger
The Bancroft Library
(510) 643-2275
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.