[DCRM-L] Cataloging 18th-century colonial document - "f" in place of "s"

Shannon Kupfer skupfer at sloma.state.oh.us
Fri Sep 4 07:51:32 MDT 2009

Good morning,

I'm a novice cataloger of rare documents and have a question for the
much more knowledgable members of the list.  I'm cataloging an 18th
century deed in which the letter which resembles "f" is occasionally
used where modern writers use "s."  For example, the first line of this
document reads, in part, "...In the yeare of our Lord Chrift one
thoufand Seven Hundred..."  This is the line we will be using for our
title.  In the 245 field in our MARC record, my fellow cataloger and I
are debating how to represent this letter.  Should we use our modern
"f," as I've done above, since it most closely resembles the letter used
at the time?  Should we replace that letter with "[s]" to designate what
the letter represents to the modern reader?  Should we use an "s"
without brackets?  And one more question: what is this letter called?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Shannon Kupfer, Digital/Tangible Media Cataloger

State Library of Ohio

Phone: 614.995.4115

Fax: 614.644.7004

www.library.ohio.gov <http://www.library.ohio.gov/>

The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all.