[DCRM-L] Cataloging of single leaves

Lenore Rouse rouse at cua.edu
Tue Apr 6 13:16:35 MDT 2010

I have wrestled with this problem on several occasions and wished there
was more guidance in the rules. I do think it is important to state at
the outset that you have a fragment of some sort. When I looked at how
other catalogers dealt with the problem, I found considerable variation,
so pretty much comped together my own standard, with a
cataloger-supplied title of [Detached leaf of....].  See OCLC 297529215
for an example. I guess the question is knowing how to draw a line
between a record for a fragment and a record for a whole which is
imperfect.

best
Lenore

--
Lenore M. Rouse
Curator, Rare Books & Special Collections

PHONE: 202 319-5090
E-MAIL: rouse at cua.edu