[DCRM-L] Cataloging of single leaves

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Apr 6 14:15:31 MDT 2010

The trouble with such an approach is its dependency on local display protocols. In the case of union databases (think of the WorldCat in its increasingly various guises) it’s out of your hands and possibly up to some mischief.

Ryan asks whether I would attach my holdings to a generic “fragments” record (so to call it), and yes, I would. I think that would be ideal. That puts everyone on notice that it’s this sort of thing, but the individual holdings necessarily vary. (I tend to favor “fragments”, since that avoids the problem of singular vs. plural “leaf” or “leaves”—it’s that much more generic.)

I don’t know where it would stand vis-a vis RDA, but in the context of DCRM(B) perhaps one could come up with a set of informal guidelines, not unlike those for dealing with copy-specific information, that would encourage more or less consistent treatment of common phenomena.

Richard