[DCRM-L] Cataloging of single leaves

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Apr 6 20:05:20 MDT 2010

I think that's exactly the idea-to give the fragment its own record. Or
better, to provide a generic record descriptive of all copies of this
nature, which then require further copy-specific description. (It's a
signal-to-noise ratio problem: separate records for each fragment would
be too noisy; identification by way of notes only is a weak signal.) The
idea here is to avoid creating descriptions that are too easily misread,
since key information is buried deep, and may in some cases be
inaccessible, as in interfaces that do not display notes. (E.g.
WorldCat.org, yes?)

In a way, it's a matter of extending the FRBR hierarchy to encompass the
port-production history of material texts, with its significant
implications for efficient access.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU