[DCRM-L] Early works to 1800

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Apr 27 07:35:40 MDT 2010

This is categorically a genre heading, the genre being that of works
written before 1800, regardless of publication date. In FRBR terms, it
characterizes, by a chronological criterion, the work or expression; it
has nothing to do with the date of any one manifestation, for which
descriptive information in the record ought to be adequate in such
matters as enabling access and controlling use; if it is not, then the
catalogue is defective.

Texts of a work (editions/issues) are issued; works as such are not-they
can be 'published', a less precise term. Those in existence as
unpublished works before 1800 are 'Early works to 1800' regardless of
the date of their initial publication, which might well take place two
centuries or more later, or not at all, in the case of a manuscript.
Indeed, the subdivision is most useful in its application to modern
editions. It would be fatal to its utility if its function were to be
confused with that of dating books.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU