[DCRM-L] DCRM(M) draft: Call for readers

Stephen A Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 27 13:07:06 MDT 2010

Hello everyone,

The joint task group that's preparing Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Music) has an essentially complete draft of their document ready for review. The RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee invites all interested parties to take part in the review process.

First things first: you need not be a music cataloger to review this document. Unlike the other DCRM publications that have been published or are under development, DCRM(M) is a joint production of RBMS Bib Standards and the Music Library Association. MLA members are currently reviewing this draft, and they are approaching it as experienced music librarians. But DCRM(M) is also aimed at catalogers of other rare materials, and the editors are eager to hear from such individuals. We want to be sure the rules seem clear and sensible to all likely users.

-->If you'd like to take part in the review, please contact me directly at skuce at mit.edu

I will assign specific areas or chapters to each reviewer, to be sure the entire document receives adequate attention. If there's a specific area or areas in which you're interested, do let me know and I'll make sure they're within your assignment.

If you'd like to glance at the document upfront, you'll find it here:

http://rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/dcrm/dcrmm/dcrmm.shtml

PLEASE NOTE: There is more than one version of DCRM(M) on that page. You want "DCRM(M) Full Text (PDF)" which is listed under "Version: 5A 20100426."

The review period is fairly generous, with a deadline of Friday, May 28 -- so we hope to hear from lots of DCRM-L list members.

With thanks in advance,
Stephen Skuce
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee

Rare Books Program Coordinator
Institute Archives and Special Collections
MIT Room 14N-118
77 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
617.253.0654